9.01.2011

Here I am, send me! (oh wait, you already did)

I'm in Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic!
Wow.  I can hardly believe I'm here.  Right now I'm staying at the Students International base; I'll move into my host family's house on Saturday morning.  My roommate, Hannah Akers, and I will be living with a lady named Ingrid.  Right now, all we know about her is her name and that she lives a half mile from the base.  Since we will be living so close to base, we will walk to classes every afternoon.  We'll have Spanish classes from 3:00 to 6:00 everyday and a Bible study/small group time twice a week in the evenings.  Josh and Vicky are the team directors, and they have been pumping us full of information!  Schedules, rules, suggestions, comands:)  They've been great and it will be amazing to work with them.

Estoy en Jarabacoa, República Dominicana!
No puedo creer que estoy aquí.  En este momento, me quedo al compuesto de Estudiantes Internacional; me voy a la casa de mi familia Dominicana el Sábado en la mañana.  Mi compañera de cuarto, Hannah Akers, y yo viviremos con una mujer quien se llama Ingrid.  Ahora, la única cosa que sabemos es su nombre y que ella vive muy cerca al compuesto.  Por eso, Hannah y yo caminaremos a clases todos los días.  Tenemos clases de Español de 15:00 a 18:00 cada día y un culto dos veces de la semana.  Josh y Vicky son los directores de nuestra equipo y nos han dado mucho información!  Horarios, reglas, sugerencias, y mandatos... :)  Son superbuenos y va a ser divertido para trabajar con ellos.

Today we did a scavenger hunt in town, to get to know the area a bit.  In the process, I met a very friendly Dominican mutt, whose name I believe is Chile.  He REALLY liked me.  :)  His owner was a little boy who was trying to convince us all to let him shine our shoes.  I told him my flipflops didn't really need a shining...  He told me his dog really liked me.  Brent is slightly concerned that this means all Dominican mutts will like me.  I hope so:)

Hoy tuvimos un "partido" de buscar varias tiendas y lugares en la ciudad.  Conocí un perro muy amable, quien se llama Chile. Yo le gustaba mucho!!  Su dueño fue en niño que quería limpiar nuestros zapatos.  Le dije que mis chanclas no necesita ser limpiado, y me dijo que su perro le gusto mucho.  Brent tiene miedo que esto significa que todos los perros en la República Dominicana van a les gustare.  Espero que sí! 

I'm nervous to meet my host family, but so excited to begin the immersion process.  I got to speak a little Spanish today, and I can't wait to speak more.
Part of me thinks I'm insane to be here.  I catch myself wondering what in the heck I'm doing this far away from home.  Couldn't I find some nice Hispanic neighborhood to hang out in somewhere in Elkhart?  But I know that I'm supposed to be here, over 2,000 miles from home...  So maybe I am crazy, but I certainly wouldn't be the first person who was crazy for Jesus. :)

Estoy nerviosa para conocer mi familia nueva, pero estoy muy emocionada para comenzar la procesa de inmersión.  Hoy, hablé un poquito en Español, y quiero hablar mas!!  
Un parte de mi cree que soy loca por estar aquí.  A veces me pregunto que estoy haciendo muy lejos de casa.  No puedo encontrar un barrio Hispánico en mi ciudad en que puedo pasar tiempo??  Pero yo se que necesito estar aquí, 2.000 millas de casa... así, quizás en realidad soy loca, pero no soy la primera persona quien era loca para Cristo. :)    

1 comment:

  1. How good it is to read your first post from The Dominican Republic! We love you and pray for you much.

    ReplyDelete